Traveling from the US to Belgium with your pets

One person may be accompanied by up to 5 pet animals not intended for sale.

The Veterinary Certificate - Please have the Veterinary certificate filled out until part IV because Belgium does not require the following 3 tests: the rabies serological test, tick treatment or Echinococcus treatment.

In the "application for import or transit authorization for live animals" on the line 'Border inspection post' - the first port of entry into the EU should be filled out; even though the final destination might be Belgium.

It is required by law that the veterinary certificate be filled out or stamped by an APHIS accredited veterinarian who certifies animal health status, conducts tests, and records test results for the individual animals being exported. You should check with your current Veterinarian to determine if he/she is an APHIS accredited veterinarian.

The APHIS Area Office for your state can assist you with your questions relating to traveling with your pet, help you locate an Accredited Veterinarian, and inform you of the fee(s) for the USDA endorsement(s). You can locate the VS Area Office for your State at:

The veterinary certificate must be issued within 48 hours prior to departure. The original veterinary certificate travels with the pet.

If you are coming from a non-EU country but intending to remain and travel within the EU for a period of time it may be useful to have your pet (cat, dog or ferret) issued with an EU Pet Passport. Visit a vet in the new (EU) country of residence.

The Import Authorization - to obtain an import authorization, the following form must be completed and submitted to the Veterinary Services in Brussels: Application for Import/Transport of Live Animals

The form can be send by fax, e-mail or regular mail to:

The Belgian Veterinary Services

Dhr. Moelans Joan


Food Safety Center, - (6th floor, office 604)

Kruidtuinlaan 55

1000 Brussel

Tel. :

Fax :


Note: Only the Application for Import/Transport of Live Animals form should be send to the Belgian Veterinary Services. No other forms are necessary to obtain the import authorization.

After the Belgian Veterinarian Services in Brussels examine the request from the importer, they will forward him/her an Import Authorization.

Important: The import authorization is valid for six months. An owner can therefore apply for such an authorization far in advance, even when the owner does not know the exact date of the travel and the flight information.

Notice: As of January 1st 2006 the cost for an import permit is 40.64 Euro. The office of veterinary services in Brussels will send the invoice for the import permit to your mailing address in Belgium.

Important: The animal will have to travel with the veterinary certificate and the import authorization.

The Microchip - All pets must be identified by an electronic chip. The microchip must follow (International Standard Organization) ISO norms # 11784 and 11785. If you want to get more information on these norms please check on the internet.

The Rabbies Vaccination - Only those rabies vaccinations given after the implantation of the microchip will be considered valid. There is a waiting period of 21 days after the rabies vaccination has been administered, before an animal can enter Belgium.

There will be no derogation granted for a kitten or puppy. Kittens and puppies, like older animals, must be vaccinated against rabies. Only rabies vaccinations admitted from the age of 3 months will be considered valid and the waiting period of 21 days is applicable.

Registration of dogs in Belgium - The guardian of an animal staying longer than six months will have to register his dog at ABIEC (Belgian Association for Identification and Registration of Dogs). A Belgian veterinarian will be able to assist you with the registration.

Association Belge d'Identification et d'Enregistrement canins (ABIEC)

Bote postale 168

B-1060 Bruxelles


Tel: 070/22.24.45

Fax: 070/22.24.46

Additional Useful Information:

We highly encourage the guardian to double check with the airline company about any additional requirements.

IATA regulations applying to air transport must be respected.

Some airline carriers do not accept animals or are breed restrictive.

For information on taking your cat or dog back into the United States, please contact the US Department of Agriculture at

For any additional questions, you may contact:

The Embassy of Belgium

3330 Garfield Street, N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20008

Tel (202) 333-6900


General Information

Belgium is a country in northwest Europe. It is a founding member of the European Union and hosts its headquarters, as well as those of other major international organizations, including NATO. Belgium covers an area of 30,528 square kilometres (11,787 sq mi) and has a population of about 10.7 million.Straddling the cultural boundary between Germanic and Latin Europe, Belgium is home for two main linguistic groups, the Flemings and the French-speakers, mostly Walloons, plus a small group of German-speakers.The climate is maritime temperate, with significant precipitation in all seasons

| contact | policies and procedures | privacy policy |
2014 Epic Dogz dba Life Unleashed / The Pet Bus. All Rights Reserved. Life Unleashed is a Registered Trademark.